Feb 17th, 2019
Auto Repair Service Advice: Don't Overlook These 10 Automotive Services
Organization is the key to managing a busy life in MN. So setting up an annual calendar for vehicle care can keep
SAINT PAUL residents on top of preventive maintenance. But you can't just write “oil change” every few months on the calendar. Modern vehicles have many systems that are vital to the safe operation of a vehicle, and they all need to be inspected. Vehicle owners, of any kind, can't afford to overlook any of them.
The following is a list of preventive maintenance services that are often overlooked by vehicle owners. They are
not presented in any particular order.
1. Power Steering Service. Moisture gradually builds up in your power steering fluid, which can lead to corrosion in your steering system. The fluid also gets dirty, which can gum up your steering system. The fluid needs to be replaced periodically.
2. Wheel Alignment. Wheels that are out of alignment will cause a vehicle to pull to one side. This is dangerous and can lead to accidents. Also, it causes uneven and rapid tire wear, which means tires must be replaced more often.
3. Differential Service. They are part of the drive train system that transfers power from the engine to the wheels. Damage or wear in this system can make a vehicle inoperable.
4. Cabin Air Filter. Your vehicle may or may not be equipped with a cabin air filter. Its job is to remove dust and pollen from the air that enters the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If this filter clogs, it can stink. So check your owner's manual to find out if your vehicle has a cabin air filter. If so, come visit us at
Auto Repair Service
and get it changed according to the recommended schedule.
5. Timing Belt Replacement. Most passenger cars and some vans and trucks have timing belts. You can check your owner's manual to find out if their vehicle has one. If so, you can't drive without it. And if it breaks while on the road, you may be looking at thousands of dollars of repairs. So it is important to inspect it occasionally. If your vehicle has close to 60,000 miles/100,000 kilometers or more on it and you haven't had your timing belt replaced, then you need to find out the recommended replacement interval NOW.
6. Transmission Service. Transmission fluid gets dirty and has to be replaced. If not, you risk repairs.
7. Air Conditioning Service. The refrigerant in your air conditioner needs to be replaced periodically. This fluid doesn't just refrigerate air; it provides lubrication to the air conditioning system and conditions seals. Lack of fluid can damage components.
8. Brake Service. Even if your brakes are quiet and working well, the brake fluid still might need to be changed. Over time, moisture builds up in brake fluid. Water has a different viscosity than brake fluid, so the brakes can't compress properly when there's too much moisture in the fluid — and you shouldn't need to be told how it is to drive with brakes that are compromised. Moisture in your brake fluid can also corrode parts in your brake system, causing it to fail altogether.
9. Coolant System Service. Antifreeze is another fluid that needs to be changed regularly. If not, it actually becomes corrosive
and begins to damage your cooling system. Eventually it can eat holes in your radiator.
10. Fuel System Cleaning. Over time, your fuel system just gets gummed up, which can interfere with the flow of fuel in a number of ways.
Of course, your next question should be: How often do I need to get all of this done? Well, the answer varies depending on
which service we're talking about, the make and model of your vehicle, the climate where you live in MN, your usual driving conditions and your driving habits.
But don't lose heart. Your owner's manual will give you a recommended service schedule for most of the service items listed. And you can get quality auto advice from our ASE Master Certified Technicians to help you meet the service intervals that suit your vehicle.
Auto Repair Service
965 PIERCE BUTLER RTE
SAINT PAUL, MN 55104